GRAND RAPIDS — The first round of ArtPrize’s public voting is over, and the results are in.
Five artists have been chosen based on 336,334 votes across four categories: 2-D, 3-D, installation and time-based. In an effort to get people to more venues, only two winners were allowed into the Top 20 from each location.
“ArtPrize seeks to challenge visitors to step outside of their comfort zones, to change their typical patterns and experience something new,” Todd Herring, director of creative and communications, said in a statement. “Elevating only the two most popular works from any given venue to the Final 20 ensures that finalists represent a diversity of venues -- encouraging visitors to explore more of the ArtPrize district through the second round of voting.”
The organization also noted that the near-constant rain has not deterred visitors or votes, as Sept. 17 brought in more than 42,000 votes, the largest amount in a single day in ArtPrize history.
The second round of voting began today, Oct. 2, and will run through Oct. 6 at 11:59 p.m.
Here are the finalists:
• Ashes to Ashes at The B.O.B. by Jacqueline Gilmore from Rockford, Mich.
• Portraits of Light and Shadow at DeVos Place Convention Center by Joao Paulo Goncalves from Pompano Beach, Fla.
• Continental U.S at Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum by Valerie Hollstein from Salt Lake City, Utah
• Sand Sturgeon at Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum by Gary Moran from New York, N.Y.
• Protect and Serve at The B.O.B. by Andrew J. Woodstock from Plainwell, Mich.
• VICTORY at Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids Downtown & Jam'n Bean Coffee Company at the Waters Center by THE CHAIRMen from Centennial, Colo.
• Wounded Warrior Dogs at Amway Grand Plaza by James Mellick from Milford Center, Ohio
• Imagine If at Amway Grand Plaza by Robin Protz from New Hartford, Conn.
• Invasive Species at Barnes & Thornburg LLP by Shiny Seed from Ann Arbor, Mich.
• One Thousand Shacks at Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts (UICA) by Tracey Snelling from Oakland, Calif.
• Sweet Spot at Brush Studio by Causey Daniell Studio from Indianapolis, Ind.
• Ditch Lily Drawing at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park by Nathan Lareau from Grand Rapids, Mich.
• The Butterfly Effect at DeVos Place Convention Center by Pettit Smith from Durango, Colo.
• Rock Around at Grand Rapids Children's Museum by Aaron Zenz from Spring Lake, Mich.
• 250 prepared ac-motors, 325kg roof laths, 1.0km rope at SiTE:LAB | Rumsey St. Project by Zimoun from Bern, Switzerland
• Sweeper's Clock at Grand Rapids Art Museum by Maarten Baas from Den Bosch, North Brabant, Netherlands
• Hoot at Courtyard Marriott Downtown by Laurel Bahe from Colorado Springs, Colo.
• Higher Ground at Grand Rapids Art Museum by Hillerbrand+Magsamen from Houston, Texas
• Emoh: sculpture / time capsule & temporary home at Kilwins Chocolates & Ice-Cream @ McKay Tower- Rosa Parks by Loren Naji from Cleveland, Ohio
• Trout Bike at Peppinos Pizzeria & Sports Grille by Andrew Rockwood from Traverse City, Mich.