If you’re on the lookout for a unique Christmas shopping experience, Grand Rapids has a day for you, offering ultra-creative gifts from more than 150 businesses and a shuttle service to get you there. On Dec. 7, from 4-10 p.m., hit up the Uptown Holiday Shop Hop event that spans four business districts: East Fulton, East Hills, Eastown and Wealthy Street. “The evening draws a huge crowd,” said Uptown Corridor Manager Christine Helms-Maletic, “It feels neighborly and community-oriented, with people listening to carolers and drinking hot cocoa.”
New to the scene are relocating businesses Woosah Outfitters and Dime & Regal, while regulars like City Antiques put on a party with a band and outstanding décor spectacles. Also make sure to visit Gallery 154 (that place with the big “UNPREDICTABLE GIFTS” banner), where the entire first floor currently is filled with ornaments.
Here are just a few cool finds from each district:
1. You can never have too many purses and you can’t go wrong with this chic brown Coach cross body bag, $111.74 at Urban Exchange.
2. It’s the season for warm, cute and cozy, so snag this fur-pom ribbed hat in gold, $85 at Iris Boutique.
3. From an artisan cooperative in Nepal, these handknit and fair-trade wool mittens keep hands toasty, $20 at Global Infusion.
4. Nora Faber’s abstract paintings won’t disappoint. The set pictured here is $165 (others available) at Richard App Gallery.
5. 5 Sens enhancing dry oil is a multi-purpose hair and body oil that protects, nourishes and moisturizers, $52 at Capelli Salon.
6. Wine flight chocolates featuring two caramels and four truffles each made with a different wine, $18.50 at Mokaya.
7. (Not pictured) Cousin Oscar is a medium-bodied, thirst quenching, organic red sure to impress the wine connoisseur, $15 at Art of the Table.