Ramos Gin Fizz
Long Road Distillers, 537 Leonard St. NW, Grand Rapids
The meticulous upstarts at Long Road Distillers (denizens of Leonard St., just left of the river) recently mixed me a cocktail.
To put it to bed in a pinch, I’ll bend your ear only to tell you it was delicious and it is dubbed the Ramos Gin Fizz. It was invented by Henry Ramos in 1888 at his saloon in New Orleans. Like a tart creamsicle, it’s a perfect confection for any season, guaranteed to make your eyes roll across the floor (in ecstasy).
How to Make it:
1 oz. gin
1 oz. simple syrup
1 oz. fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 oz. egg white
¼ oz. cream
- Give the drink a hard dry shake, to emulsify the egg.
- Add ice and give it a second hard shake.
- Double-strain that mother (for presentation).
- Top it with a fine red wine reduction
- Garnish with six drops of Blossom Water and sink yourself into the soft hammock of the evening, or afternoon, or morning, or whenever – you’re an adult.